This guide will show you how to create and manage custom alerts in Google Analytics step-by-step for the Delacon call tracking solution.
The Google Analytics alerts you set up will help you keep track of major changes in your call tracking and call management. Thanks to timely alerts, you can identify and then solve any problems that are causing harm to your call tracking solution before they escalate.
Why Track Google Analytics Custom Alerts?
Have you ever noticed a sudden drop or spike in your call volume? Or, you may have perhaps noticed an increase in missed calls.
Imagine you’re busy with something important and weren’t checking your Analytics data for a little while. Chances are, your Analytics reports did show unusual drops in call volumes and increased missed calls, but as you weren’t closely monitoring these, you missed them. When you finally got back, you discovered a massive loss.
Google Analytics custom alerts help to prevent such losses. You can set up alerts for certain changes in your call volumes and missed calls, so when the reports meet the threshold, Analytics sends you an alert email. Then, you can fix any issue promptly.
In this guide we will outline two parts of the set up:
- Setting up Google Analytics integrations within Delacon portal
- Setting up Custom Alerts within Google Analytics
Part 1: Setting up Google Analytics integrations within Delacon portal
Prior to sending Delacon call tracking data to Google Analytics, you need to complete the relevant Google Analytics integrations. Please follow this link to see the step by step guide at https://support.delaconcorp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026848853-Delacon-and-Google-Analytics-Integration-and-Setup-Guide-1
Please ensure to set up the following custom dimensions:
- Business name
- Business category
- Call status
- DTMF Description
- Survey type
Explanation of the above custom dimensions are available within “Section 2” of Delacon Google Analytics integration guide
Part 2: Setting up Custom Alerts within Google Analytics
Once you have completed Part 1 above, Delacon call tracking data should be available within your Google Analytics account.
Please follow these steps to set up a custom alert within Google Analytics:
There are two parts for setting up an alert:
- Part 1: Creating Google Analytics Segment
- Part 2: Creating Google Analytics Custom Alert
Part 1: Creating Google Analytics Segment
1. Login to Google Analytics then click on Admin and Segments
2. Segment for Call Volume
Click on +New Segment, insert a Segment Name, for example: ‘Delacon Calls’
- Then click on ‘Conditions’ under ‘Advanced’
- Within the ‘Filter’ section find ‘Custom Dimensions’ then select ‘Event Action’
- Insert the word ‘duration’ into the field, this will include all call volumes.
- If you would like to include only a specific ‘Business Name’, you will need to add another filter by clicking on ‘AND’ button then find ‘Business Name’ under ‘Custom Dimension’ then insert the ‘Business Name’ that is already available within your Google Analytics.
Please ensure to update the ‘Segment Name’ so you know this alert is specifically for a specific ‘Business Name’ If you could not find the ‘Business Name’ whilst you typing in the field, which means this ‘Business Name’ is not integrated with your Google Analytics or does not have a phone call yet.
5. Click ‘Save’
3. Segment for Missed Calls
Follow step 1 and 2 A, B and C from ‘Custom Alert for Call Volumes’ above then add Call Status as per screenshots below
Please note that you can remove the Business Name from the filter if you would like to create a segment for missed calls for overall calls.
Part 2: Creating Google Analytics Custom Alert
- Return to Admin section then select Custom Alerts
- Insert ‘Alert Name’ example ‘call Volumes for Business Name A’ for call volume or ‘No Answer Delacon Calls’ for Missed Calls alert
- Leave the Period as ‘Day’ as the preferred option
- Under ‘Alert Conditions’ choose the ‘Custom Segment’ created previously, example: ‘Call Volumes for Business Name A’ or ‘Missed Delacon Calls’
- You could add other email addresses to receive this alert (optional)
- Save Alert
Please note that you would need to understand how many calls and missed calls you have received previously on daily basis prior to setting up an alert.
For example if your maximum daily missed calls are 5 calls, then you would need to include total events ‘is greater than 5’