This guide will give you step by step instructions on how to load Delacon’s call tracking code onto your website. This is a technical document and is best suited to a web developer or a web master.
There are 3 steps to integrate Delacon call tracking:
- Determine the tracking code
- Confirm that all details are correct
- Deploy the tracking code
Determine the tracking code
The line of call tracking code you will need to implement always follows the same pattern and is only updated by the relevant MID (Master ID - your unique account identifier) and CID (Campaign ID or Service ID- the unique campaign identifier):
<script src="//vxml4.plavxml.com/sited/ref/ctrk/MID-CID" async></script>
Finding your MID and CID numbers
You can find your MID and CID numbers in your Delacon portal. Using the login credentials provided to you, log into the Delacon portal.
On the home screen, you will find your MID number in the top-right corner of the screen next to your username and the "Settings" menu.
The CID number for each of the campaigns can be found on the left hand side of the screen by clicking on "Menu" and then "Services". This will direct you to an overview of all the campaigns you have running. The Service ID number is the one we need.
Now, we have all the building blocks we need to complete the tracking code that is unique to your account and campaigns. Taking the MID and CID numbers from this demo example the correct tracking code would be as below:
<script src="//vxml4.plavxml.com/sited/ref/ctrk/1143-65786" async></script>
If you have multiple CIDs running on the same website, the line of call tracking code will be expanded by each CID and would look like this:
<script src="//vxml4.plavxml.com/sited/ref/ctrk/MID-CID1-CID2-CID3-CID4" async></script>
Confirm that all details are correct
Now that you have the tracking code ready, you need to make sure that all details in the setup are correct.
Back under Menu > Services > List Services, click on "Edit" for the CID in question and review the setup.
Service Name and Category
Customise the service name and category to your reporting needs. Click on the question marks next to the fields for more guidance.
Enter all e-mail addresses that should receive call alerts. We send out an e-mail notification for each call received on the tracking number. Make sure to press "Enter" to confirm each number once you have typed it in. If you don't wish to receive these call alerts, simply enter firstname.lastname@example.org
Customise the number format of the tracking number. You can add spaces, hyphens and brackets.
Business phone number:
Your business phone number is the telephone number that is displayed on your website and which will be replaced with our tracking number. Enter the business phone number as it appears on your website, e.g. if your number is displayed on your website as:
(02) 12 34 56 78
then the number in the Business Phone Number field must be displayed as:
(02) 12 34 56 78
Add all termination numbers that you want the calls to be transferred to. Make sure to enter the number without any spaces or special characters; then press "Enter" to confirm each number once you have typed it in.
From the drop-down menu, determine the tracking method for the tracking number. Your options include:
- Track just Google Paid - Only Google paid links (AdWords) will be tracked
- Track Google Paid, Yahoo Paid, Bing Paid - This will enable you to track calls from Google AdWords, Yahoo Sponsored Search and Microsoft ad Center.
- Track All References - Track ALL online referrers. This would include banner ads, referrer and affiliate websites, organic and paid links,etc.
- Track from Google/Yahoo/Bing and all Organic - Tracking paid links from Google, Yahoo and Bing as well organic leads.
- Track CPC Campaign medium - Track if the landing page URL contains utm_medium=cpc and Google Paid.
If you have made any changes to your Business Details make sure you save them by clicking on the Submit button.
Deploy the tracking code
At this stage, you have prepared the tracking code and double-checked all details are correct. We can now deploy the tracking code to the website. There are 2 two options on how to do this:
- Deploy the code via a tag manager
If you have Google Analytics on your site, place the Delacon code after, not before, the Google Analytics code.
2. Deploy the code via a tag manager
Alternatively, the tracking code can also be loaded through a tag management platform such as:
- Google Tag Manager or
- Tealium if preferred.
Final Step - Test
Clear your browser cache, close and re-open your browser. This will ensure that the session is cleared, and your number will display correctly. If you are not seeing your number displayed, and you have followed the steps above, then potentially the browser cache has not been cleared, and you have not closed and reopened your browser.
To check whether the tracking code is running, you can perform below quick test:
1. Open a web browser (example shown for Firefox)
2. Open the Web Developer tools via the Settings menu of your browser or press Ctrl + Shift + E on your keyboard. This will open the network response window.
3. Enter your webpage URL and hit enter to start loading the webpage.
4. Look for vxml4.plavxml.com in the network response screen. This indicates that the tracking code it running. In the "file" column, you will see the respective MID and CID that the code is running for. Check that these match your account and campaign IDs.
If you can't see the code running, please re-visit the steps under "Deploy the tracking code" to ensure the code has been deployed correctly.
If you have any questions or would like some assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Delacon support team.